A lot of people are switching to Gmail and are probably confused on how Gmail works. Gmail has a lot of features that’s fabulous, so in today’s article, we’ll cover the basics on how to use Gmail, such as:
- How to compose an email.
- How to reply an email.
- Schedule an email.
- How to organize your email.
- Search your emails.
- Create a signature on your email.
- Fnd your spam and trash folders etc.
If you don’t know how to create an account on gmail and want to know and learn how to create a google mail account.
Ways to Use Gmail
1. Composing an Email
- Once you’ve logged in to your Gmail account, click on “Compose.” Your cursor will appear in the “To” section of your email box. Type in the email address of who you’re sending the message to here. Press enter to make sure the address is registered.
- If you want to cc someone else into the same message, click “Cc” and then fill in their address in this box. Click enter to confirm the address, and add multiples if you want.
- To blind-copy someone, click on “Bcc” and then enter their address. In “Subject,” type in the heading you want for your email. Compose your message in the box here. You can use the formatting tools to amend the style of your text.
- Use the menu bar to add attachments, insert a link, add an emoji, add a Google Drive file, photo, set your emails confidential, or add a signature. When you’re happy with your message, click “Send.”
- A pop-up will tell you the message has been sent when it’s been delivered. From you inbox, you can select the “Sent” tab to review your sent emails. You’ll find your sent email at the top of the list.
2. Replying an Email
- To reply to an email, click on the arrow icon here, type in your message in the box that appears, and click “Send” when you are done.
- If multiple accounts have been cc’d into the email and you want all these accounts to receive your reply, click on the three dots and select “Reply all.”
3. Scheduling Your Email
You can schedule your email to send at a later time. Next to “Send,” click on the downward arrow and select “Schedule send.” Select a suggested schedule date and time or choose your own time. Click “Schedule send” to complete.
4. Marking an Email
- You can mark emails to remind yourself to read them later. In your inbox, click on the star on the email. The star will light up. This email will be listed in your starred section, which you can find by clicking on the “Starred” tab by your left hand side.
- You can unstar an email by clicking the star again. After opening an email, you might want it to be seen as unread again to remind yourself to read it later. To do this, click on the envelope icon above. To select only your unread emails in your inbox, click on the downward arrow above and click “Unread.”
- Temporarily remove emails from your inbox and get them to pop up at the top of your inbox later by snoozing. In the email, click on the clock icon above and choose a suggested time from the drop-down or “Pick date & time” to choose yourself. To find all your snoozed emails, go to the “Snoozed” tab.
5. Archive an Email
- When you don’t want an email in your inbox any longer, you can archive it. Archive an email by clicking on the archive icon above. You can find your archived emails in the “All Mail” tab.
- You won’t see them in your inbox anymore. If someone replies to the email, it’ll reappear in your inbox.
6. Labeling an Email
- You can organize your emails using labels. To categorize a message, click on the labels icon above, and you can select one of the automatically added sections below, such as social, and then click “Apply.” Your email will now be added to your “Social” tab, which you can find on your inbox above.
- To add new labels, click on the label icon and then “Create new.” Give the label a name, and if you want it to sit under another label, click the check mark next to “Nest under label” and select the one you want from the drop-down and then click “Create.”
7. Searching For an Email
- To search for an email, type in the search bar a keyword and press enter. All emails with the searched keyword will appear below. Refine your search by clicking on the icon above by your right hand side.
- A drop-down will appear with all the search options. Select as you wish and click “Search” to see the listings.
8. Creating a Signature
- To create a signature, go to the settings icon and click on “See all settings.” Make sure you’re on the “General” tab and scroll down to find the “Signature” section.
- Click “Create new” and give it a name. Click “Create.” Type the signature you want here and use the formatting options below to style or add images. When you’re happy with your signature, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Save Changes.”
- To turn your signature on, go to settings again and find the signature section. Click on “No signature” below “FOR NEW EMAILS USE” and select your signature.
- To add a signature to your reply emails as well, select your signature from the drop-down below “ON REPLY/FORWARD USE.” Scroll down and click “Save Changes” to apply.
9. Finding Spam Folder
- On the left-hand side of your inbox, scroll down the mail section and click on “More,” then click on “Spam.”
- You can delete all your spam emails at once by clicking on “Delete all spam messages now,” and then “OK” to confirm.
- To move an email from your spam folder into your inbox, click on the message and then select “Not spam.” It’ll now be in your inbox.
10. Finding Trash Folder
- From the left-hand side under “Mail,” scroll down through the tabs and select “More.” Continue to scroll and click on “Trash” to open the folder.
- To permanently delete all the messages in your trash, click on “Empty Trash now” and then “OK.” All messages in your trash folder will automatically get deleted permanently after being in there for 30 days.
- To move an email out of the trash folder, click the check mark next to the message and then select the “Move to” and click on the destination you want.